Monday, October 12, 2015

Let Go

Since I was a mere toddler, I have always been the rule follower, the Type A personality, the perfectionist.  I always knew how to "play school" well and found success fairly easily as long as I put in hard work and followed the expectations and rules set forth by my teachers and professors.  Even in my early years as a teacher, I wanted to play it safe.  Listen more than speak.  Don't make waves.  Don't ruffle feathers.  The irony is that as I get older, I've realized that the real success comes when you're willing to break the mold, color outside the lines, think outside the box, and LET GO--something that goes against everything I know and have done for decades.

Today I spent my day off of school for Columbus Day down at Belmont Harbor in Chicago at Trapeze School New York.  It's an outdoor facility that allows you to try out trapeze while soaking up sunshine and the cool Chicago air.  After practicing several positions in the air for over an hour and a half, we had the opportunity for a catch.  It's at this point one of the instructors gets up on the other bar and, if the timing and form is right, we make contact and complete the catch.  Being the Type A person I am, I was hung up on getting my knees up, timing my arms correctly, and getting my hands out in time.  Quite simply, I was overthinking it, and my instructors weren't afraid to tell me so.  On my final try, the instructor on the ground reminded me how to hold my hands and, just before I started, suggested, "Close your eyes and just let go.  Let Jason [my instructor on the bar] do the work."  Let go.  Those words are the kiss of death for a Type A, control freak such as myself.   However, the part of me craving success in this catch had grown even stronger than my need for control, so I went out there on my last try and I let go.  Letting go became the most exhilarating feeling--especially since I made the catch.





On the drive home and while floating on my post-catch, Cloud 9 bliss, I couldn't help but think about our recent Global Cardboard Challenge in the Learning Commons. Here was another experience that was all about letting go and finding success--even when you don't quite expect it.

For three days, the kids and lots and lots and lots of cardboard took over the space I work in each day.  It was creative.  It was fun.  It was messy.  As much as a younger version of me would have loved to control this experience, the wiser, more creative and confident version of me realized that letting go was the only way this challenge was going to find success.  Students ruled the space, creating whatever they wanted using all of the tools and materials available to them.  We had roller coasters and robots and Starbucks and forts and even a bed with a chandelier.  But it didn't stop there.  Even teachers were plopped down on the floor, scissors and tape in hand, creating all sorts of cool creations and getting in on the action.

As I walked around to survey all of these marvelous cardboard sculptures,  I knew we found success when students were begging for more time or begging to miss their next class.  Even the eighth graders, who I thought might struggle with buying into this experience, were smiling and giggling and having the time of the lives.  My heart sang when students from all different grade levels told me that this was the best experience they had ever had in the library and that this was their favorite place in the school.

The Global Cardboard Challenge was a magical three days in the Learning Commons, and our space was transformed into this ultra-cool and imaginative cardboard world.  (I honestly feel a small sense of sadness tomorrow since I know it's been cleaned up over the weekend.)  Could this world have existed if we came in teacher-centered, controlling, and focused on rules?  Probably not.

So in trapeze, in teaching, and in life, it's important to just let go.

Eighth graders assemble a roller coaster.

Addison the bulldog with Mrs. Brown & Mrs. Tye.

Batter up in this cardboard baseball stadium!

This robot sings and dances for all to see.

The aftermath--and this is just one small pile of many!





1 comment:

  1. Andrea,
    What a lovely reflection of teaching and learning. So glad you and your students are coloring outside the lines. It's a bit messier, but worth every minute!
    Todd

    ReplyDelete